Thiru Ekambareswarar temple
How to reach the Thiru Ekambareswarar Temple
This is Kanchipuram - Thiru Ekambareswarar temple. The temple is about 76 Kms away from Chennai and can be easily reached. The temple is located in Big Kanchipuram. Its very famous and big temple and everyone can guide to this temple.
Swamy - Arulmighu Ekambaranathar. Also called with the tirunaamam "Thiru Vagambamudaiyur".
Ambal (Iraivi) - Anjanatchi Amman facing south direction in a separate sannadhi. She is also called as "Karunai Nayaki".
Theertham - Siva gangai, Kambai theertham, Sarva theertham, Ulagani theertham.
Thala Viruksham - Maa (Mango tree).
Pathigam - Sambandhar - 2, Appar - 4.
About the Temple
1. This is one among the Pancha Bhootha Sthalam. It is related to "Prithvi" (Earth).
2. "Thiru Nila thingalthundam", one among 108 Sri Vaishnava Divya desams is found inside this temple.
3. Sundarar got back his left side eye sight after visiting this Sthalam.
4. Sundarar, Manickka vasagar, Gnana sambandhar have sung Padhigams towards this Sthalam.
5. This Sthalam is also called as Pralayasiththu, Sivapuram, Vindupuram, Mummoorthyvaasam, Brahmapuram, Kaamapeedam, Tapomayam, Sagalasththi, Kannikaappu, Thundeerapuram and Thandagapuram.
6. Sannadhis for Vikada chakra vinayagar, Arumugar, 1008,108 lingams, Agasthiyar, Vellaikkamabar, 63 Nayanmars, Panatharesar, Markandesar, Kallakkambar, Maththala Maathavesar, Pikshandar, Nalla Kambar, Nilathingalthunda perumal, Natarajar, Navagraham, Pralayam Kaaththa ammai are found.
Once in thirukkailayam, Umai - Parvathi hiding from behind closed the eyes of Lord Shivan. As a result of this, the entire world was surrounded by darkness. After realizing this, Parvathi felt that she has made a mistake and asked towards Shiva Perumaan the way to get out of her mistake. Shiva Perumaan asker her to perform the 32 Dharmas in Kanchi, worship him and she can get out of her sin. As said by Perumaan, Parvathi Devi came to Kanchi and performed the 32 Dharmas, worshipped the Perumaan thereby got out of her sin. The 32 Dharmas includes Deva Yagam, Pithru Yagam, Bhootha Yagam, Maanida Yagam, Pirama yagam, Donating for poor, construction of Madams for Rishis, Pushkaranis, flower parks, helping the disables, taking care of kids, Ko Dhanam, Kannika Dhaanam, creation of Shiva bhakti, helping the Sivanadiyars, and more.
We can find Parvathi Devi hugging the Shiva Lingam in this Sthalam. This is because once the theertham of this Sthalam - Kambha nadhi started to flood; Parvathi Devi thought that the water should not do any harm to the Thirumeni of the Perumaan. So, to protect him, she hugged the Perumaan with her two hands. The impression of the Valais (bangles) of Parvathi Devi is found on the Lingam of this temple.
On the back side of Moolavar sannadhi, the Sthala Viruksham - Mango tree is found. It is said that Parvathi Devi performed her tapas sitting below this tree. Special Poojas are performed towards this tree and the age of the tree is said about 3500 years old.
Parvathi Devi using the sand constructed the Lingam, since the lingam is made of sand. So Abhisekam is not done.
Daily 6 times poojas are done, Panguni Uthram- 14 days utsavams, Aadipooram, Navarathiri, Vinayakar chaturthi, Vaikunda Ekadesi, Maha Sivarathiri, Karthigai Laksharchanai are some of the great utsavams done in this temple.